Recorded Event: Gathering to talk about lands
Primary Speech Variety: Mountain Arapesh: Wautogik variety
Secondary Speech Varieties: Tok Pisin
Date: 1998-01-23 Location: Wautogik Duration: 89:00
Description: A gathering of mature village men in order to clarify their understanding of their ancestral lands
Note: notes: Very difficult recording conditions - it began to rain once everyone had gathered.
Note: Three part recording.
- Arnold Watiem · Secondary, (M : 62) Wautogik ~ fluent Arapesh speaker, educated to grade 3
- Christopher Worubə · Secondary, (M : ) Wautogik ~
- Clemen Hayin · Primary, (M : c 73) Wautogik ~ went to the Boikin Catholic school in Tok Pisin, no literacy, traditional leader of Wautogik village's first clan (Abahinem)
- Felix Natopol · Secondary, (M : c 70) Wautogik ~ fluent Arapesh speaker, left school after grade 1
- Joe Guaigu · Secondary, (M : 64) Wautogik ~ fluent Arapesh speaker, worked as grade 1 teacher before retiring
- Joseph Sallun · Secondary, (M : c 65) Wautogik ~ fluent Arapesh speaker, worked as teacher/headmaster
- Lise Dobrin · Researcher, (F : 32) ~ American linguist, born Chicago 1966. Graduate student (linguistics, University of Chicago).
- Matthew Rahiria · Secondary, (M : c 60) Wautogik ~ fluent Arapesh speaker, 2 years teacher's college, worked teaching school and as a headmaster before falling sick and retiring early
- Pita Abaham · Secondary, (M : ) Wautogik ~ LOOK UP
Cassette cover scans (click to enlarge)